Are you traveling to Vienna soon and wondering whether you need an Austrian SIM card to be able to communicate easily and cost-effectively? Then you are exactly in the right place!
In this ultimate guide, you will learn everything you need to know about the Best SIM card in Austria for tourists. Here you will find out whether you need an Austrian SIM card for your trip to Vienna, where you can buy your SIM card and the costs involved.
We also introduce you to the various mobile phone providers in Austria and alternative ways of buying a SIM card, such as
Here we go!
Other Recommended Articles:
Do I really need an Austrian SIM card for my trip to Vienna?
First, let's clarify the question of whether you need an Austrian SIM card for your vacation in Vienna:
- If you are from Europe, it is usually not necessary to buy an Austrian SIM card, as roaming within the EU (and the European Economic Area) has been free since 2017 . This means that in most cases you can use your SIM card in Austria without any problems and without fear of additional costs. However, since each provider is free to impose certain restrictions on overseas use, it is advisable to check your provider's terms and special rules to avoid any surprises.
- If you are not from Europe but from the USA or other parts of the world, buying an Austrian SIM card makes sense. Otherwise, you can expect very high international roaming charges. Buying a local SIM card ensures that your mobile data connections are reliable, secure and fast, and allows you to communicate with ease during your trip to Vienna.
Buy your SIM card for Austria online before you travel
1. The Holafly prepaid e-SIM card for Vienna
For travelers who only need mobile data during their stay in Austria and can do without phone calls and SMS, Holafly offers a practical solution: an easy-to-use prepaid e-SIM card. With this digital e-SIM card you get unlimited data volume with 4G/LTE speed.
Thanks to the Holafly e-SIM card, you don't have to worry about high roaming costs when travelling. So you can surf the Internet without worry and restrictions.
Now let's take a closer look at the prices and conditions of this card:
How Holafly works:
- Choose your preferred data plan and buy the Holafly prepaid e-SIM card here.
- You will immediately receive a QR code with the e-SIM card via email.
- Scan the QR code one day before your departure.
- Turn off cellular data from your local wireless service provider.
- Set your phone's options so that your phone uses Holafly's internet.
- Activate your QR code upon arrival in Austria, turn on data roaming in your phone's settings and use your Holafly SIM card during your stay in Vienna.
Important: Before you buy the Holafly eSIM card, please make sure your phone is unlocked and compatible with the Holafly service. Here is a list of compatible phones: From iPhone XS, XR and newer models; Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and other new models; Huawei P40, P40 Pro, Huawei Mate 40 Pro and newer models; Google Pixel 3, 3a (some versions do not support eSIM), Google Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5 and later models; Oppo Find X3 Pro, Oppo Reno 5A, Motorola ( 2019) and the Motorola Razr 5G (dual SIM).
Another way to check your phone's compatibility is as follows:
- On iOS devices: Open your phone's Settings and go to Cellular Data. If you see an option to add a cellular plan or add a data plan, your iPhone supports eSIMs.
- On Android devices: Open your phone's settings and go to "Connections" > "SIM card manager". If you see the option to add a mobile plan, your smartphone supports eSIMs.
The easy-to-use eSIM for Austria from Holafly (recommended ):
Below you will find an overview of the prices and conditions for the eSIM from Holafly. The one listed in red is the most popular option with travelers.
- 5 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 19 €)
- 7 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 27 €)
- 10 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 34 €)
- 15 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 47 €)
- 20 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 57 €)
- 30 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 69 €)
- 60 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. €87)
- 90 days unlimited data volume in Austria (approx. 99 €)
For more information and to benefit from a 5% discount, please click on the following link. There you will find all the details about the various offers and the current prices.
2. Rent a pocket WiFi device for Vienna
Another option is to rent a Pocket WiFi device for your stay in Vienna. With this portable device, you can access the Internet anytime, anywhere, without limitations and across multiple devices such as mobile phones, tablets, and laptops.
The 4G/LTE network covers the whole of Austria and Europe, so you can always surf quickly.
The rental process is very simple:
- Rent the Pocket WLAN device here.
- Have the device delivered to the address of your choice in Vienna, be it your hotel or another address.
- During your trip, use the device according to the instructions.
- Before you leave, return the device by placing it in the pre-paid, self-addressed envelope and posting according to the instructions.
So you always have reliable internet access during your trip to Vienna. Further information can be found via the following link:
Where can I buy my Austrian SIM card in Vienna?
1. In the city
There are numerous options in the city for buying a prepaid SIM card for Austria. In addition to the official shops of the mobile network providers, you can also buy prepaid SIM cards in telephone shops, supermarkets, post offices, electronics shops, drugstores and even at gas stations.
2. At Vienna Airport
It is also possible to buy SIM cards at
While cell phone providers and some electronics stores like Mediamarkt don't usually charge for SIM card registration, many retailers do charge a registration fee. In the airport, this is often higher than in the city.
However, if you want to be in possession of a SIM card when you arrive, it can be advantageous to get an eSIM card for Austria before you arrive in Vienna.
What do I need to buy a prepaid SIM card in Austria?
To buy a prepaid SIM card in Austria, you usually need the following things:
- An unlocked cell phone
- Official, valid photo ID such as a passport, ID card or driving license
- Registration via personal registration or online via VideoID
Please note: Mobile operators can charge up to €20 for registration. However, it is possible to do this online for free via VideoID .
For example, if you bought your prepaid SIM card in a shop in Austria where on-site registration was not possible (e.g. petrol station, drugstore, etc.), you can also do this online. The corresponding links for registration can be found on the websites of A1 Austria, Magenta and Drei.
The mobile phone providers in Austria at a glance
- There are three major mobile operators in Austria: A1 Telekom Austria, Magenta Telekom (formerly: T-Mobile), and Drei Austria. All three operators offer very good network coverage throughout Austria
- A1 is the largest mobile operator in Austria with the best network coverage, followed by Magenta Telekom and Drei.
- There are also other small discount mobile phone providers, such as Yesss! or HoT, but these either belong to one of the providers mentioned above or use their network
Cost of buying a prepaid SIM card in Austria for tourists
A simple prepaid SIM card in Austria usually costs around €10.
We have listed below the best Austrian offers for prepaid SIM cards, which we think are the most interesting for tourists:
1. A1 Telekom Austria
With the B.free value card, A1 offers a prepaid SIM card without a contract. The starter package costs €9.90, is valid for 28 days and includes 5,000 free units (min/sms/mb).
After purchasing the card and registering, you can add credit and book one of the tariffs listed below via SMS :
- B.free XS: This tariff includes 6 GB data volume, 1000 minutes and 1000 SMS. It costs €10 and is valid for 4 weeks. Note : The XS tariff is only valid in Austria.
- B.free S: With this tariff you get 15 GB data volume, 1000 minutes and 1000 SMS. The price is 15 € per 4 weeks. Note : The S tariff is only valid in Austria.
- B.free M: This tariff offers 18 GB data volume, 2000 minutes and 2000 SMS. The M tariff is valid for 4 weeks in Austria and Europe and costs €20 .
- B.free L: The L tariff includes 3000 minutes, 3000 SMS and 30 GB data volume, of which 28 GB is valid in the EU. It costs €30 and is valid for 4 weeks. Note : The XS tariff is only valid in Austria.
Further details on the prepaid card and the various tariffs can be found on the official A1 website .
2. Magenta Telecom
Magenta's prepaid SIM card without a contract is called KLAX. The starter package with the KLAX M tariff consisting of 15 GB (in Austria and EU) & 1,500 MIN/SMS (for the first 4 weeks) costs €10 .
Here are other tariffs:
- KLAX S: This tariff includes 8 GB data volume (Austria only) and 1,000 MIN/SMS (Austria + EU). It costs €10 and is valid for 4 weeks.
- KLAX M: KLAX M includes 15 GB data volume (Austria + EU) and 1,500 MIN/SMS (Austria + EU). The tariff costs €15 and is valid for 4 weeks.
KLAX L: With this tariff you get 20 GB data volume (Austria + EU) and 2,000 MIN/SMS (Austria + EU) for 4 weeks. The price is €20 .
- KLAX XL: Magentas XL tariff consists of 30 GB data volume (Austria + EU) and 3,000 MIN/SMS (Austria + EU). It costs €30 and is valid for 4 weeks.
Visit Magenta's official website for more details and current pricing .
Drei offers a variety of prepaid cards, which are divided into two tariff categories: TALK, which offers Austria-wide surfing/telephoning, and TALK EU, which can be used both in Austria and in other EU countries.
Here are the most interesting tariffs for tourists:
- TALK M: This offer includes 10 GB data volume, 1000 minutes and 1000 SMS. It is valid for 30 days and costs €10. As mentioned above, the tariff is only valid in Austria .
- TALK L: With this offer you get 15 GB data volume, 1,500 minutes and 1,500 SMS. It costs €15 and is valid for 30 days (only in Austria).
- TALK EU L: This offer costs €20 and offers 20 GB data volume (Austria+EU), 2,000 minutes (200 minutes of which within the EU) and 2000 SMS. The tariff is valid for 30 days.
- TALK EU XL: The EU XL tariff comes with 30 GB data volume (Ö+EU), 3,000 minutes (of which 300 minutes within the EU) and 3000 SMS. It costs €30 and is valid for 30 days.
Visit Drei's official website for current prices and more information.
Our conclusion on the best SIM card in Austria
Our recommendation is the Holafly eSIM card. It is not only the fastest, but also the easiest way to purchase a prepaid SIM card for Austria.
With the Holafly eSIM card you get excellent value for money and the option to keep your own phone number. Instead of making a phone call, you can simply use WhatsApp or similar apps.
Another advantage is that you can start using your mobile phone immediately after arriving in Vienna without wasting time looking for a shop. In addition, the registration process and additional registration fees are no longer necessary with the eSIM . If you plan to visit other EU countries during your trip, Holafly's eSIM card is also a great option.
Frequently asked questions about SIM cards in Austria
In Austria there are a large number of providers who offer prepaid SIM cards. Some of the best-known providers are A1 Telekom Austria, Magenta Telekom and Drei. They offer different tariffs and packages for telephony, SMS and mobile Internet. In our overview you will find the most suitable prepaid SIM cards for tourists.
There are several Austrian SIM cards that work well for tourists depending on the needs of the individual. We have the prepaid cards of the major mobile phone providers A1, T-Mobile and Drei, which are best suited for tourists, above under the point "Costs for buying a prepaid SIM card in Austria for tourists" together with the respective prices listed. But our winner is the digital eSIM card from Holafly, which stands out with an excellent price-performance ratio and easy handling.
We recommend the Holafly digital eSIM card as the best option for travelers looking for a prepaid SIM card in Austria. The Holafly eSIM card offers excellent value for money, the ability to keep your phone number and fast activation with no additional registration fees.
In addition, the Holafly eSIM card offers convenient and quick activation without having to go to a store to buy and register a SIM card. With the eSIM from Holafly, travelers can also use mobile internet while traveling in other EU countries.
In Vienna and other major cities in Austria, Austrian prepaid SIM cards can be purchased in the official shops of mobile phone providers, telephone shops, supermarkets, post offices, electronics stores such as Mediamarkt, drugstores and petrol stations.
Alternatively, tourists can also buy a SIM card at Vienna Airport, although the choice may be more limited and the registration fee may be higher. If immediate use is desired, it's worth getting an eSIM card like Holafly's in advance.
A normal prepaid SIM card costs around 10 euros in Austria. In addition, there are the tariffs that you have to book as needed. The prices of the respective tariffs vary depending on the data volume, free minutes and whether the tariff is only valid in Austria or Europe-wide. Above you can find the exact prices of the three main mobile operators in Austria.
Holafly eSIM card prices start at around 19 euros for 5 days of unlimited data in Austria + Europe and offer a convenient and easy way for travelers to connect to the internet. With different options for different lengths of stay, from 5 to 90 days, you can choose the eSIM card that best suits your travel plan. Click on the link provided for more information and to benefit from a 5% discount.